Tackling cutting through traffic towards business park

You did raise a very interesting point of discussion there, @ruben_casteleyn Tuesday evening: the cutting through traffic through Kessel-Lo’s residantial streets towards research park Haasrode, or from the research park back home.

In 2016 a study has been conducted at Research Park. So a bit old figures (and with a pandemic in between), but I think still relevant.
The first figure shows the modal split of the Research Park Haasrode, compared with Flemish figures.

The next figures shows the way how people go to the research park, related to the distance they travel:

So you can see, that 70% lives closer than 20 km away from the research park. I’m not sure if a (local) train station would help these people to get out of their (company) car.

That people would be better of to get out of their (company) car, that is a fact:

• But what can we, as citizens, do to motivate them to get out of their car when going to work (and on the bike?).?
  • What can citizens, living in these streets, that have to deal with all these (company) cars driving through, to find the quickest way by car, to go to work, of to go back home?
  • What can cities and municipalities do to let them not use the residential streets to go to work, to go back home?
  • What can companies do?
  • What can car users do?

Very curious to hear all the suggestions and ideas, and also tp hear see inspiration of things that have been done.

1 Like

I don’t have much local knowledge, but from the little I’ve heard, is the fundamental issue here not really the promotion of “company cars” rather than the specifics of this street?

Any solution that works here would need to also work in other business park situations.

Taking away company car incentives, or even reversing this and taxing them, would encourage the adoption of alternative solutions for all those except those who had no choice.

1 Like