Splitting Two-Wheelers into Cycles and Motorbikes

Motorbike share should be vanishingly small at Acton Street.

A recent nearby manual count found roughly 25% of the bicycles were e-Bikes with motors, 25% of which were double length cargo bikes. Hoverboards and electric scooters were a notable mode, with both seated and standing passengers (often two passengers per standup scooter).

There is simply no way an automated counter, much less a low resolution one like Telraam, can distinguish between the chunky class 2 or class 3 e-Bikes and a gas motorcycle, without at the very least assist from an audio stream. The humans doing the counts would be unable as well, without using sound and perhaps a glimpse of the retroreflective numberplate/licenceplate. That plate is the only true distinguishing factor.

For e-Bikes in the 36 of the states in the USA:
Class 1: The Class 1 e-bike provides assistance only when you pedal, and stops assisting when you reach 20 mph
Class 2: The Class 2 e-bike is equipped with a throttle which provides a boost without pedaling, and stops assisting at 20 mph.
Class 3: The Class 3 e-bike is equipped with a speedometer, and only assists until the bike reaches 28 mph.

Notably, Acton’s speed limit is 15 mph.

My guess for mine Telraam | route de clisson : 80 % cyclists?

thanks @samy.guyet

I think your installation is new, is that right? I don’t have a month of data yet to work with, but from the looks of the last few days, the split is currently around 75% bicycles and 25% motorbikes. I’ll take a look again in a few weeks to see how the data evolves, but looks like we’re about right

1 Like

thank you, yes my installation is new

I’m late to the party! 9000005573. 1% PTW Guessing 3 motorbikes in total and two are neighbours…

1 Like

Oh my! You weren’t joking

Of the 22,816 ‘two-wheelers’ in the last month, only 2% (468) were classed as motorbikes.

hahahaha! Amazing! No one motorbikes in cities in Scotland apart from Germans and Dutch people on Holiday.

I now have a ton of manual counts in Berkeley, CA.
20% of the bikes are e-Bikes, consistently through twelve count zones.
Motorcycles are mostly unheard of.

1 Like

Have you done work on scooters?
Our area has about mode share of electric stand-up scooters.
Will those tend to come off as cars? Bikes? Under the current V2?

Scooters aren’t separated out at the moment.

If we see a rider on one, it is most likely to be classified as a pedestrian as the overall share will be the determining factor.

To be honest, picking these out will be hard with our current configuration as the scooter itself is very small and hard to spot, particularly for a low-resolution camera. In profile, it is just two lines and two very small tyres, and the majority of the shape is a person, so hard to distinguish from a pedestrian.

We do plan on looking into this more in future, but our priorities are currently night counts and the outdoor device.

Night counts and an outdoor device are definitely important. Doubly so a solar/line power hybrid outdoor device.

Scooters are super fast pedestrians in many cases.
I bet many of them show up as bikes or motorbikes.
Could you clarify what the “maximum speed” is for a pedestrian?
Have you tested with joggers?