Mobility explained: Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan (SUMP)

I’m going to try to introduce different terms here to bring insights and knowledge for all Telraam Talks members. Some of these will be familiar to you, some may not. I hope we can all learn from them, and if you have more to add, PLEASE do add your thoughts in the discussion below.

Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan (SUMP)

Definition:

a strategic plan designed to satisfy the mobility needs of people and businesses in cities and their surroundings for a better quality of life. It builds on existing planning practices and takes due consideration of integration, participation and evaluation principles
(source: European Commission)

Explanation:

As cities continue to grow and evolve, the importance of sustainable urban mobility cannot be overstated. Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans (SUMPs) are an effective way to achieve this goal.

SUMPs are collaborative planning frameworks that seek to promote sustainable urban mobility by setting specific goals and actions, engaging stakeholders, and considering innovative solutions, but their implementation requires supportive policies, funding, and governance.

• SUMPs are integrated planning frameworks that aim to support sustainable urban mobility, by considering multiple modes of transportation and their impact on urban areas.
  • They involve a collaborative and participatory process with stakeholders, including citizens, public authorities, and transport providers.
  • SUMPs typically involve setting specific goals, targets and actions related to sustainable transport, such as reducing the use of private cars, promoting cycling and walking, and improving public transport services.
  • They also consider the use of innovative technologies and mobility solutions, such as shared mobility services, electric vehicles, and intelligent transport systems.
  • The implementation of SUMPs requires a supportive policy and regulatory environment, adequate funding, and effective governance structures.

The key to these plans is that they can help set a wider vision of the future for mobility in an area that takes into account many more factors and stakeholders than simple “traffic plans” that build on existing and historic experiences. These visions can help us to move in a direction that benefits citizens, the urban environment and the planet.

Translations:

NL: Duurzame Stedelijke Mobiliteitsplan
FR: Plan de Mobilité Urbaine Durable (PMUD)
DE: Nachhaltiger Stadtverkehrsplan
ES: Plan de Movilidad Urbana Sostenible
PT: Plano de Mobilidade Urbana Sustentável

(can you add more terms, or more languages? suggest them below and I will update the post)

Great post! I learned something new!

1 Like