Mobility explained: mobility hub

I’m going to try to introduce different terms here to bring insights and knowledge for all Telraam Talks members. Some of these will be familiar to you, some may not. I hope we can all learn from them, and if you have more to add, PLEASE do add your thoughts in the discussion below.

Mobility hub

Definition: a location that acts as a connector between different modes of transport, and also provides some level of community service, to facilitate the transfer between them and avoid the need for door-to-door private transport

Explanation:

I heard this term a lot last week when I took part in a conference on shared mobility. Just to help clarify it, here are some definitions and descriptions that were offered:

These are places which bring together public, shared and active travel modes with some public realm improvement and an identifying sign. This can range from a bus stop with parking for shared bikes by a cycle route, up to megahubs in large-scale new developments, at major transport interchanges, motorway service stations, hospitals and so on. - Intelligent Transport

Hubs bring together public transport stops for buses, trams and trains with bike share schemes, car clubs, e-scooters, electric vehicle charging points, bike racks and shared taxi rides. These hubs can also be home to community facilities such as cafés, fitness areas, green space, package collection points and WIFI and phone charging – all with covered waiting areas, real-time journey planning information, walking areas and disabled access. - Intelligent Transport

This may be familiar to you in certain countries (e.g. The Netherlands, Austria, Belgium and so on) but they are relatively uncommon, at least for more active travel, elsewhere. However, they are an important enabler for making more complex or longer journeys by public or active transport possible.

In general, people will choose the mode of transport that is most convenient for their journey, and for longer and more complex journeys, this is often the car. However, if it was just as easy, cheap and useful to do this by a combination of other means, then more might avoid that car journey.

Integrations might include making it easier to cycle to a station, or to hire shared bikes, scooters or even EVs when you arrive at a station. It might also mean that the place where this happens offers other benefits for visiting: EV charging, services (dry-cleaning collection, medical clinic, town hall / gathering spaces, etc.)

Mobility hubs are the intersections of multiple modes, and therefore also a potential focus for local community building and the development of ‘15-minute’ neighbourhoods. They could have an impact on many aspects of streets and local areas, and are relevant for many different campaigns.

However, they are also complex projects because, by the same token, they require the coordination of many different services, organisations and regulations in order to happen.

Do you have a “mobility hub” in your neighbourhood?

Translations:

NL: mobiliteitshub | mobiliteitsknooppunten | hoppinpunten | mobipunten | slimme schakels
FR: pôle de mobilité
DE: Mobilitätsdrehscheibe
ES: hub de movilidad
PT: núcleo de mobilidade

(can you add more terms, or more languages? suggest them below and I will update the post)

You’ve entered a Dutch-language minefield here, Rob :wink:

In the Netherlands, the term “mobiliteitsknooppunten” is also quite popular.

In Flanders, the government officially calls these hubs “hoppinpunten”. It’s a term I’m entirely unfamiliar with, and I believe the broader public also has no idea what the word actually means.

Previously, the term “mobipunten” (or literally “mobility points”) was also used.

To add to the confusion, the city of Antwerp calls these hubs “slimme schakels” (or literally “smart switches”). Why? Well, because of course the city of Antwerp has to do things differently. Just for the sake of it, apparently.

Station-Antwerpen Berchem
The largest mobility hub in my area would be the train station of Antwerpen-Berchem.

Here, commuters and travelers can switch from train to other public transport options. A tram and bus station is located only a 2-minute walk away from the train platforms.

They can also use one of the several bike-sharing stations located around the train station building.

In recent years, the train station area has also been improved to make it safer and more comfortable for cyclists and pedestrians. Still a lot of work to be done in this regard, but first steps have been taken.

A multi-story bicycle parking garage was built…

A cycling bridge across the nearby highway was built, giving direct access to the parking garage…

A pedestrian bridge across a local road was built, giving direct access to a nearby office park…

Finally, an underground car parking garage is also available.

3 Likes

Thanks so much - indeed, I am sure there are plenty of different terms still since there are many potential functions and the term is not yet accepted.

I’ve added all yours to the reference post - thanks

These photos look amazing. We have plenty of bus / train interchanges in the UK but they are not smart in any way, and almost no thought for bikes, pedestrians and more.

1 Like

Another good example I know is Brussels Schuman, a mobility hub in the city’s European Quarter.

Here, trains literally cross the subway station allowing for fast connections (if both train and subway schedules are respected that is).

In any case, the set-up of this hub just looks awesome on pictures.

And on video.

3 Likes

living in a more rural area in Belgium : I don’t really have a “hop-in-point” but at our local trainstation, we have also have a busstop, large carparking and a bike parking area. The carparking is also used as a “kiss and ride” for daily travellers and schoolchildren. All well used during the weekdays. No trains during the weekends. No bike rental. Years ago in Denmark I remember where trainstation were also used as tourist information hubs. I liked that. XDiana

2 Likes

Oh goodness, I love the idea of a “kiss & ride” … I’d never heard of that, but sounds great!

I like the sounds of that @dianabehets except for the car park, since it then encourages folk to drive there instead of using other means, but that will depend on the rural alternatives.

We’re trying to remove all parking at our station to encourage more active travel

Tourist information would be good, as long as there were tourists at your local stop. We do get a few as we have a pretty famous museum locally, so may be something to try

Just to expand on that: here’s an example of a road sign used to indicate “Kiss & Ride” drop-off zones. I believe this picture was taken below the Gent-Sint-Pieters railway station.

1 Like

I love how the “stick person” walking away still manages to look energised and full of confidence thanks to a kiss before leaving :heart_eyes:

2 Likes