Mobility explained: a school street

Another in a series of “Mobility Explained” posts with a difference.

If you speak Dutch you will already have seen a separate thread with some excellent “Mobility for Dummies” video content to explain some key concepts in a friendly, approachable and dynamic format which have been created by our friends at Mobiel 21.

I’m taking the opportunity to translate the transcript of these videos into English for reference in case you are interested, but like me, don’t speak the language.

Here is the latest video, with the English transcription below (more to follow):

I want to walk to school.
Oops, I’m not exactly allowed there by car.
I’ll drop you off at the school gate and then I’ll drive away, OK?

So, a school street, that’s what we need to talk about.

Hello, I’m Glenn from Mobiel 21 and I’m going to explain to you in 2 minutes and 21 seconds what a school street is.

WHAT IS A SCHOOL STREET?

A school street is a street adjacent to a school where motorised traffic is not allowed during certain hours. Usually half an hour at the beginning and end of the school day.

WHY DO WE NEED A SCHOOL STREET?

It is often very busy at the school gate with lots of cars and limited space for the pupils themselves. In a school street, you make the street free of traffic for a while. Which creates more space for pedestrians, cyclists, meeting and movement. A school street is safer for everyone and helps children gain more experience in traffic.

WILL CHILDREN ACTUALLY BE TAUGHT IN THE STREET?

Lessons on the street… that’s a good idea. Extra fresh air to put those brains to work. But it’s unfortunately not a feature of a school street.

HOW DO I RECOGNISE A SCHOOL STREET?

A school street is closed with a warning sign and a further “school street” sign below, possibly with the hours on it when no cars are allowed to pass through. Some schools also have an Octopus pole with a barrier.

The street of course remains open for emergency services and residents. Those who do come by car can park a little further and walk the last stretch to the school gate.

WHY AREN’T ALL STREETS WITH SCHOOLS AUTOMATICALLY SCHOOL STREETS?

In streets with a lot of through traffic or without a good diversion route, a school street does not work. But in many other cases it does.

With a school street, you break the vicious circle of parents bringing their child to school by car because it is too busy and unsafe…

And then a school street is a win-win-win situation because everyone gets more exercise, there is less air pollution and it becomes a lot more pleasant at the school gate.

… and now I’m off to look for kids who want to be taught on the street.

Ah, now I get it, it’s only temporary.
A street with a school is a school street, it sounds only logical.
Go on then chubby, will you take the children to school by bike tomorrow?

1 Like