Mechelen: Opposition party wants Telraam to improve street redesign

In Mechelen, a mid-sized town in the centre of Flanders, citizens have been protesting against their city council’s plans to redesign the city’s ring road, including an expansion of one-way traffic. The protestors allege the city is not taking their wishes and worries into account. As a sign of solidarity with the protestors, a local opposition politician has suggested installing a Telraam network to better understand the impact of the plans.

Are you aware of political discussions about Telraam in your town or city? Have you ever proposed using Telraam to your city council? What was their reaction to your proposal?

7 Likes

The road works in Mechelen keep popping up in national news here in Belgium. Cycling has become so popular in the city over the last few years, that veritable cycling traffic jams are forming near the construction area. What a sight to behold!

Tip: check the video in the article to get a true sense of the sheer number of cyclists that pass the area during rush hour.

2 Likes

I was one of those cyclists waiting in line there on monday and yes it was sheer choas! But this makes the case for the Vesten project that Mechelen is doing even stronger, because there are SO MANY CYCLISTS in Mechelen that need space too. The sad thing is that the car drivers that are already aware of these changes and works for over a year now are not changing their behaviour… Below is een impression of a part of the congestion on the ringroad taken from my window.
The children that are waiting in line at that crossroad can’t make any changes because most of them are going to the school that is right across from that street. And of course they shouldn’t! But most of the car drivers are in the position to make a change, take a different route, switch to public transport or take the bike.
I truely hope that the municiple council will keep their ground on the general one-directional principle. But of course it’s always good to monitor the process and fine-tune where needed. Like adjusting the traffic lights during the works - in favor of the pedestrians and cyclists of course. :innocent:

Is anyone on this platform counting in this neighbourhood? @driesjanssens or @koenbaele maybe? I’m curious to see a before and after! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was in that line myself one morning and Imust admit that it was an impressive sight, all those cyclists and pedestrians crammed into a narrow lane (that was reserved for cars before - so there’s progression :smile:). A lot is changing at the moment in Mechelen when it comes to urban mobility. And I will compare the data of my Telraam before and after the big switch to one direction traffic on the Vesten. But I’m giving it another week or so to see the evolutions in traffic volume and speed (frustrated car drivers tend to speed quite often :wink:)

2 Likes

Looking forward to that comparison Dries!

I count in the ‘Caputsteenstraat’. A dead end (knip) was introduced here (only cyclists and pedestrians kan pass through), which of course brings some change. After 10 days, there is already a good drop in the number of cars.
In October, the share of road users was 58% for car traffic, 34% for bicycle traffic, 8% for pedestrians. For the first week from the introduction of the dead end, i.e. a transition period, I count 46%, 38% and 16% respectively. For the last three days at 32%, 48% and 19%. So the number of cyclists now exceeds the number of cars for he first time on this residential street. But it will evolve some more, I think.
There is a big school in the street and the street is also an important connection to the cycle lane (fietsostrade); so a lot of cyclists pass through here. What I see now in particular is that those cyclists can cycle a lot safer in this street and neighbourhood and get their rightful place.
So I see ‘De nieuwe Vesten’ mainly as a change of mentality. And I equally hope that the city council sticks to the whole plan.

2 Likes

Hi Koen!

Very interesting to read these results. Can you share the link to your Telraam so we can follow the evolution in the coming weeks / months?

I completely agree that it comes down to a mindshift. Which will take some time, but after a period of adjustment will benefit all of us. The campaign that some residents have started “Leefbare stad, bereikbare wijken” (english: “liveable city, accessible neighbourhoods”) is absurd because these neighbourhoods are part of the city and they will be affected with more traffic if there are no extra measures. It’s a short-sighted campaign by a few residents who no longer can park their car on their doorstep or have to make some detours. And so we return to that change in mentality where the greater good in terms of safety, air quality,… trumps individual convenience.

Curious to see how this will progress, and let’s give the city a hand by collecting good data!

2 Likes

Hi Sanne,

I totally agree. You put it very nicely.

The campaign is indeed absurd. A short-sighted self-centred interpretation of the concept of “a liveable city”.

Here you can find the link: Telraam | Caputsteenstraat

1 Like

Ik moet ook eens dringend naar de cijfers van mijn Telraam in de Populierendreef kijken, want heb ook de indruk dat het, na de chaos van de eerste weken na de knips, weer beter is qua verkeer. Hoewel dat het echt wel straf is dat het aantal fietsers vandaag het aantal auto’s in de Caputsteenstraat overtreft! :slight_smile:
Telraam | Populierendreef

1 Like

Hey Koen, oké als ik jou cijfers even deel met enkele mensen van Thuis in Nekkerspoel?
Best wel indrukwekkend vind ik. En ik geloof dat de stad ook wel zal verschieten als ze dit zien. Alleen jammer dat er zoveel gepruts en gevaarlijke manoevres zijn aan de knip in de Sint-Gommarusstraat :-/
Voor de eerste twee weken van november (vóór de knips) zag het verkeer er zo uit:

. Van 14/11 tot 28/11 zien de cijfers er zo uit:

Een lichte stijging in het gemotoriseerd verkeer, maar niets significants.

1 Like

Hey Dries,

Je mag die cijfers zeker delen.

Ja, het aantal fietsers in de straat is best wel indrukwekkend.

Heeft de situatie in de Gommarusstraat dan vooral nog te maken met de auto’s die rechtsomkeer moeten maken, of gaat het dan ook over plaatselijk verkeer (bewoners, bezoekers)? Heb je daar zicht op? Sowieso heb ik wel veel kleine én grote auto’s - die er duidelijk niet moesten zijn - de straat zien indraaien.

Qua autoverkeer zijn er in de caputsteenstraat momenteel nog 2 golven. Het autoverkeer gedurende de werkweek is vorige week nog wat gedaald terwijl het autoverkeer in het voorbije weekend nog vrij hoog lag. Zaterdag was het aantal auto’s hoger dan tijdens de weekdagen. Het lijkt erop dat de markt-/stads-bezoekers die de caputsteenstraat vroeger als sluipweg gebruikten om de stad te verlaten nog niet zo goed op de hoogte zijn van de nieuwe situatie. Er kunnen natuurlijk ook wat andere mensen tussen zitten die nog wat zoekende zijn.

1 Like

In de Gommarusstraat zijn het vooral niet-buurtbewoners die zich in de fuik vastrijden. Daarbij komt nog dat Google Maps nog altijd niet aangeeft dat er een knip is! Dat heb ik gisteren zelf nog gezien. De knip in de Caputsteenstraat en Kleine Nieuwedijkstraat kent het wel :thinking:
Het is nu gewoon nog even wachten tot echt alle werken klaar zijn midden december.

je kan een neiuwe situatie ook melden aan Google zelf. natuurlijk moet het dan wel best een permanente verandering zijn. Dat je niet meer door de Caputsteenstraat kunt rijden heeft natuurlijk een voordeel vooral omdat daar een school is, nabij en richting fietssnelweg. Sommige beslissingen zullen zeker positief zijn. Ik ben van Hofstade en door dat er hier her en der eenrichtingsstraten zijn ingericht en knips verhoogd het verkeer natuurlijk drastisch op de grotere banen. Persoonlijk ondervind ik toch dat er wel nadelen zijn voor omliggende straten… aantal kilometers per verplaatsing vergroot doordat er rondjes gereden worden zelfs nadat de situatie gestabiliseerd is en gekend. de auto’s die aan de knip moeten terugdraaien veroorzaken een gevaarlijk maneuver dat niet te vermijden is. grts Diana

Ik heb 2x feedback gegeven aan Google maps. De eerste keer een week na de invoering van de knips i.v.m. de knip in de Caputsteenstraat. Het werd toen gecorrigeerd, maar enkele dagen later werd er een route gecreëerd via de Sint-Gommarusstraat en Jan Bolstraat. Dat heb ik dan vorig weekend ook doorgegeven met een verwijzing naar de info van de stad over de knips. Ik zie vandaag dat er een gecorrigeerde route wordt weergegeven (via R6).

1 Like