Introductions and plans for 2023

I am SO excited to see so many new folks discovering Telraam Talks. The number of users grows daily.

If you have joined in the last week or so and I’ve not sent you a personal welcome, I’m sorry! (lots of exciting things happening here at Telraam) I will do so very soon.

What I always ask new users is to tell me something about themselves, and what brings them both to Telraam counting, and to Telraam Talks!? I would dearly love to know more about you, so I can also help to make this place as useful and welcoming as possible.

Why not reply to this topic with:
:wave: a brief introduction to yourself,
:globe_with_meridians: maybe where you live,
:red_car: :biking_woman: :walking_woman: what motivates you to want to count traffic,
:peace_symbol: :rainbow: and what you are most looking forward to in 2023.

And if you’ve been here for a while and want to take part as well, please feel free :hugs:

4 Likes

I suppose I can go first since you don’t know me either …

:wave: I’m working for Telraam but based in the UK, looking after international projects and customers, and helping to build the community as a place to bring all our many clients and users together from across the globe.

In my spare time away from counting cars and bikes and helping others to do the same, I enjoy my garden that I am reconfiguring, and my bonsai :evergreen_tree: experiments (I’m a beginner but enjoying the journey).

:globe_with_meridians: I live in South East London, in the UK and this is my current Telraam

:red_car: :biking_woman: :walking_woman: My family and I live on a major road (the South Circular) so we are very conscious of traffic issues. I also sit on the committee of our local civic society (the Forest Hill Society) and am trying to improve our transport connections and services.

:peace_symbol: :rainbow: I’m hoping for a 2023 that sees an end to the toxic political interactions we have seen in too many countries, and a renewed effort to collaborate to achieve real change in the way we live, we interact, and we take responsibility for the future in our cities. It does feel like there is a shift happening regarding the rights of non-car street users, whether walking or cycling, and therefore how we reshape our local communities.

2 Likes

I’ll join in :slight_smile:

En ik zal mezelf even in het Nederlands voorstellen, want alle talen zijn welkom op dit platform!

:wave: I werk als communicatiemedewerker bij Mobiel 21, een Vlaamse vzw die mensen in beweging zet door actieve en duurzame mobiliteit, in al haar vormen, te promoten. In mijn persoonlijk leven interesser ik me erg in ruimtelijke ordening, kamerplanten en internationale politiek.

:globe_with_meridians: Hoewel ik in Leuven werk, woon ik in de enige echte stad van Vlaanderen: Antwerpen :wink:

:red_car: :biking_woman: :walking_woman: Aangezien ik op de tiende verdieping van een groot apartementsgebouw woon, is het technisch niet mogelijk (of beter: praktisch vrij zinloos) om een Telraam-sensor achter mijn raam te hangen. Ik tel dus geen verkeer, maar wil graag op andere manieren meedenken en meewerken aan meer straten op mensenmaat.

:peace_symbol: :rainbow: Om bij het mobiliteitsthema te blijven: In 2023 hoop ik eindelijk meer duidelijkheid te krijgen over de timing van de grote werken die in mijn buurt gepland zijn (de fameuze Oosterweelverbinding…). Die werken zullen jarenlang een grote impact hebben op het verkeer en de leefbaarheid in mijn buurt.

Interested in discovering how my organisation, Mobiel 21, sets people in motion? Check out the one-shot video we recently produced to introduce ourselves!

4 Likes

My turn! :slight_smile:

:wave: Ik werk al 10-15j bij TML als transport beleidsonderzoeker en heb Telraam vanuit TML mee uit de grond gestampt. Telraam neemt nu ongeveer 110% van mijn tijd in en ik probeer met de rest van het team Telraam beter te maken (nieuwe sensor!) en meer mensen te bereiken

:globe_with_meridians: Limburger in Leuven!

:bike: Als onderzoeker weet ik maar al te goed wat de waarde is van goede (tel)data. Meer dan eens zat ik in een project waar data gewoon ontbrak om iets zinnig te kunnen concluderen. Tegelijk is het ook duidelijk dat de lokale bewoners, vanuit hun eigen ervaringen vaak goede oplossingen kunnen aanreiken, maar het ontbreekt vaak aan die objectieve basis om dat te onderbouwen. Dat motiveert me om met Telraam een oplossing te bieden

:peace_symbol: :rainbow: Ik kijk er heel hard naar uit om in 2023 (eindelijk!) de nieuwe Telraam sensor te kunnen introduceren en zo ook met Telraam meer mensen in het buitenland te kunnen helpen. De afgelopen 2j waren waren voor Telraam een ware rollercoaster. Dat ritje mag nog verder gaan in 2023 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi everyone, hello world,
:wave: I am volounteering for the “Berlin zählt Mobilität” (Berlin counts mobility) citizen science project in Berlin, run by the German Cyclist’s Association (ADFC) and German Aerospace Center (DLR).

:globe_with_meridians: I’m based in Berlin, :eu: :de: Germany.

:red_car::biking_man::walking_man: I’m involved in various topics of mobility transition and would really like to advocate for superblocks/low-traffic neighbourhoods at scale in large European cities. So where better to start than on your own doorstep when testing a device, that could make your ideas empirically founded and not driven by mere enthusiasm?

:peace_symbol::rainbow: In 2023, I am hoping for discussion on (urban) land justice, energy transition and socioecological transformation. There is no reason to slow down steps, but to help others to jump on the bandwagon leading us away from ecological collapse.

:slightly_smiling_face: Paul

4 Likes